YIELD: Serves 4 PREP TIME: 20 minutes plus 30 minutes marinade time COOK TIME: 8–10 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup ranch salad dressing
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup very thinly sliced celery
- ½ cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 1/3 cup ranch salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the chicken: If the chicken breasts are large, cut each in half horizontally to a ½-inch thickness. Place the ranch dressing and barbecue sauce in a large zip-top bag and add the chicken. Close the top and use your hands to thoroughly coat the chicken with the marinade. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or chill until ready to cook.
For the slaw: While the chicken rests, combine all the slaw ingredients in a large bowl and toss well—using your hands works best—for 1 minute, until every bit is coated with the dressing. Let it stand for 30 minutes to marry the flavors.
Prepare an outdoor grill or heat a stove-top grill pan over medium-high heat. Lay the chicken on the grill and cook for 4–5 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through.
Serve the chicken with the slaw on the side.